The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Monday, October 10, 2005

Book Review: The Immortals Quartet

(General review--no real spoilers)

There are four books in this series: Wild Magic, Wolf-Speaker, Emperor Mage, and The Realms of the Gods. The author is Tamora Pierce.

I was attracted to this series because I enjoyed Pierce's Alanna books, and because the first book in the series has a horse on the cover. (Hey, I'm an easy mark--if there's a horse or a cat on the cover, I'll buy it.)

The main character in this series, Daine, has the gift of wild magic, which allows her to talk to "the people," or animals. She uses this gift throughout the four books to save her country from the growing menace of the Immortals--supernatural creatures like unicorns, stormwings, and trolls, who are loosed in her world by an evil emperor.

These books are set in the same country (Tortall) as the Alanna books, and the Lioness herself even appears as a character. (Next, I'm going to start the "Protector of the Small" series, which is also set in the same world.) Although the books were enjoyable and quick, they lacked some of the depth of the Alanna books. Daine herself seemed like a shadow of Alanna. However, I liked the animal characters and information.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>