The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A General Guide to Things Sheila Likes

In books, movies, and TV shows, I generally like horror, science fiction, fantasy, and suspense. In music, I like folk, Celtic, trance, gothic, twee...and a bunch of other things. If you have any recommendations for me, I'd love to hear them! Here are some general lists of my favorites. (These aren't definitive by any means.)

BOOKS:
Time travel, dark fantasy, fairy tales, past lives, young adult, and ghosts are some my favorite subjects. I like horror, but generally find vampires boring (except Angel. Mmmm...Angel...but I digress.) I enjoy well-written suspense, but I think the market is oversaturated with serial-killer thrillers. I also like a lot of current women writers who fall under the "literary novel" category--Barbara Kingsolver, Amy Tan, Kate Atkinson, Donna Tartt, A.S. Byatt, and Sarah Waters, to name a few. I might review some of these in more detail later, but here's the list for now:

1. His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman
2.The Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
3. Affinity by Sarah Waters
4. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
5. Hell House by Richard Matheson
6. Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine
7. Green Darkness by Anya Seton
8. Possession by A.S. Byatt
9. Houses of Stone by Barbara Michaels
10. Anna's Book by Barbara Vine
11. Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
12. A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott
13. The Secret History by Donna Tartt
14. The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope
15. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
16. The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales by Tanith Lee
17. The Changeling Sea by Patricia A. McKillip
18. The Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop
19. The Shape-Changer's Wife by Sharon Shinn
20. Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
21. Sunshine by Robin McKinley

TV SHOWS:
Hurray for Lost, which did so well last year that we get lots of new supernatural shows this season! Most of these are still on the air, but I am going to mention a few oldies but goodies. I love my DVR, which lets me keep track of all these shows.

1. Veronica Mars
2. Lost
3. Medium
4. House
5. Buffy/Angel/Firefly
6. X-Files/Millennium
7. Monk
8. The Simpsons
9. Desperate Housewives
10. Sea of Souls (BBC)
11. Murder in Suburbia (BBC)
12. Invasion
13. Battlestar Galactica
14. Surface
15. America's Next Top Model *blush*
16. Invasion
17. The Daily Show
18. Reunion *blush*
19. The Night Stalker
20. Sex and the City

MOVIES:
I love Netflix! I'm having a hard time thinking of my favorite movies, though, so will fill this section out more later.

1. Moulin Rouge
2. Willow
3. The Last Unicorn
4. Lord of the Rings Trilogy
5. The Wicker Man
6. Napoleon Dynamite
7. Love Actually
8. Dog Show
9. Beauty and the Beast
10. The Sixth Sense
11. Donnie Darko
12. The Kingdom (why won't seasons 2 through 4 come to the US???)
13. The Princess Bride
14. The Mists of Avalon (technically a mini-series)

MUSIC:
Really, there's so much music that I love--this is only what I listen to most. I have a 40GB (I think?) iPod that stores my music. I connect it to speakers and it's lovely.

1. Indigo Girls/Amy Ray
2. Belle & Sebastian
3. Dar Williams
4. Damien Rice
5. Interpol
6. The Cure
7. Placebo
8. PJ Harvey
9. Loreena McKennitt
10. The Decemberists
11. Sleater-Kinney
12. Bright Eyes
13. Luna
14. Beth Orton
15. James
16. Delerium
17. Poe
18. Heather Nova
19. Morrissey/The Smiths


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't happen to have Lost on DVD do you???

-Deb

10/07/2005 12:56 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

DEB! Deb deb deb!
Uh, no, we don't...
but you should totally rent it.

10/07/2005 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>