The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Friday, October 07, 2005

Top-15 List: Horror Movies

Ah, October, the time for crappy horror movies to be dredged up from the vaults and played all month on TV. I love it! (A round-up can be found at TeeVee.org, here.) I usually find slasher movies boring, but I love a clever, moody, scary movie. In the spirit of the season, here's my random and incomplete list of horror movies that I like. These are in alphabetical order.

1. Blair Witch Project. This movie is often trashed, but the first time I saw it, I was unsettled all night--the sign of a good horror movie, in my opinion.
2. Candyman. Tony Todd: sexy in a scary way. Need I say more?
3. Donnie Darko. This may not qualify as horror, but it's spooky, at least. And it has
Jake Gyllenhaal in it. And lots of crazy fan speculation.
4. Edward Scissorhands. This probably isn't even remotely horror. But it's gothic and moody, and has great social commentary.
5. The Exorcist. The '70s psychology in this film (she's hysterical!) makes me smile, and love the fact that the Church doesn't win--it's kind of a draw.
6. Ghost Story. From Peter Straub's excellent novel. I love ghosts, and this is a nice little supernatural tale that actually makes sense. (A lot of ghost/horror movies don't.)
7. Ginger Snaps. I love the werewolf/menstral connection. Very Angela Carter.
8. The Lost Boys. Dated? Oh yes. But I'll always have a fondness for this favorite from my high school days.
9. The Others. Again, a great ghost story. I love the period costumes and furniture.
10. The Ring (U.S. version). This movie doesn't make a lick of sense, but the imagery is disturbing and strangely beautiful. I'll never forget the horse on the ferry. The original Japanese makes more sense, but isn't as stylish.
11. Scream. The impact of this has been lost by all the imitations, but when it first came out, Scream was very clever. And gory. A lot of very...creative deaths in this one.
12. The Sixth Sense. Has me sniffling every time.
13. Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Another one that left me very unsettled. I've never heard so much screaming in my life.
14. The Wicker Man. Naked '70s people and Christopher Lee--a winning combination! (I'm scared of the remake that's in the works, though--let's just say that Nicholas Cage is not one of my favorite actors. In fact, I have an irrational hatred of him. But I digress.)
ETA:
15. The Kingdom. How could I forget this?! This was a Danish mini-series by Lars von Trier. Only the first 4 hours have been released in the U.S. (linky here). It's set in a haunted hospital, and it's scary, surreal, funny, and just downright strange.

I also enjoy some B horror movies: Pumpkinhead. Tremors. The Mummy (remake).

7 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Ahem

The Wicker Man.

10/07/2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Eep! Yer right--adding right now.

10/07/2005 12:10 PM  
Blogger John said...

And, upon further review, Shaun of the Dead.

I'd add The Shining and Alien, but that's just me.

10/07/2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I thought about SotD, but decided I didn't want to ever re-watch it--so it was cut from the list. (Though I still want a Zombaid t-shirt!) Alien and the Shining are in the same boat.

Though I know I'm forgetting something brilliant...ah well, it'll come to me.

10/07/2005 12:16 PM  
Blogger John said...

http://www.cafepress.com/flippin_sweet.19901592

10/07/2005 12:56 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

You almost got that shirt as a late b-day present, my dear. *hugs*

10/07/2005 1:20 PM  
Blogger Poppycock said...

Hi Sheila :)

How could you possibly hate Nicholas Cage more than i hate Eric Roberts??;)

You know, I absolutely agree with you on 'Blair Witch Project', 'Exorcist' and the 'Ring'. A few of the ones you mentioned I haven't seen but I was gonna ask you if you haven't forgotten about 'The Shining' ( the Jack Nicholson/Shelley Duvall version ) which, for me, takes the cake in being my all-time scariest movie. Also, I'd like to add 'Silence of the Lambs', for that 'disturbing' factor, don't you think?

Cheers! And glad to see you blogging now :)

MM

10/09/2005 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>