The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

TV Review: Surface, or Sheila hearts Nimrod

(General review--mild spoilers about the episodes through 10/24/05)

I'm not sure why this show's on the air, and I'm not sure why they just extended it to a full season. It's slow paced, banal, and a bit murky about the sea creatures. (Are they aliens, or a new species? Should we be scared of them? Or should we even care at all? What exactly can they do, and what exactly is their habitat? It seems to change from episode to episode. And why does the government want to hide their existence?)

I mildly dislike most of the characters. (I can't even care enough to hate them.) Female scientist, redneck, parents--meh. The show has killed off the evil Russian scientist guy and maybe killed off the evil Indian scientist guy. The only "bad guy" left is the evil government asian guy, and he's not that scary. I'm unclear about his motives and intent, and there's no sense of impending doom or even any real tension.

However, I do love Nimrod. Yes, that's right, that little CGI lizard. I also like the boy who's trying to rescue him, and have so far managed to not gag at all the Spielbergian overtones. Nimrod reminds me of my kitten, Seamus--naughty but adorable. Nimrod and his owner are the only real human touches to the show, and I'll keep watching for that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree completely. All of the characters are weak except Nimrod and his keeper (Miles?). Like you it is the only reason I still watch.

12/08/2005 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whats wrong with u people this is a great show!!!!!! i love it!!!! i completely disagree with ur comments.

1/26/2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't agree. The thing that got me was that the plot was fast moving. I started to watch invasion and it was so slow I wanted to claw my eyes out. I like this show.

2/01/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Invasion is slooooow, I agree.
Love it or hate it, Surface isn't coming back, so I guess it's a moot point.

3/09/2006 1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>