The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Book Review: The Three Incestuous Sisters

(General Review--minor spoilers only. Though it's hard to spoil a book with almost no words.)

I don't usually write harsh reviews, but here we go!

I loved The Time Traveler's Wife. A lot. It made me sniffle at the end. So I eagerly picked up The Three Incestuous Sisters, the lastest from Audrey Niffenegger. And was horribly disappointed.

First, this is an "Illustrated Novel." It's not a graphic novel--oh no, that would be un-artistic. This is self-indulgent and pretentious. The story was fun if predictible--a combination of family drama and fantasy. But, in my opinion, the art was terrible. The art lacked color and whimsy. (Though I did enjoy the drawing of the baby bits flying through the air after a stroller explosion. Hee.)

The good thing: this is a very quick read--15 or 20 minutes. The sad thing: this book took her 14 years to create. In my opinion, she's a better writer than artist. I hope she writes another, non-illustrated novel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>