The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Friday, January 06, 2006

Mini Book Reviews

Quick recaps of what I read over Christmas break:

Mortal Love by Elizabeth Hand
I liked this; it combined Hand's usual mythology and fantasy elements, but it made more sense than her usual novels.

Something Rich and Strange by Patricia A. McKillip
I'm a huge McKillip fan, but this isn't her best. It's a novella that uses large margins and a large font to stretch it out. It's about her usual fascination with the sea, but this novel is more blatant than her usual subtle works.

Eldest by Christopher Paolini
This is the second book in a series, and parts of it drove me crazy: too long (by at least 200 pages), and way, way to derivitive of source materials (mainly Tolkein). However, by the end, the action had gripped me, and I'm looking forward to the next book.

Snow by Tracy Lynn
This was a $3.99 young adult novel I got at the local bookstore. A retelling of Snow White, this novel did add some original elements--mainly half-human, half-animal outcasts living in the dregs of Victorian London (instead of dwarves). It was a quick read--not great, but not bad, either.

13 Steps Down by Ruth Rendell
I love Rendell mainly for her twisted sense of poetic justice--everyone gets what's completely, and literally, fair at the end of a Rendell novel. This is no exception, but it was a big downer--more depressing than her usual books, I think. Still, it was well written with a good conclusion.

I'm currently reading Amy Tan's latest, Saving Fish from Drowning, and I'll review when it's finished. (Her main character has mother issues. Can you believe it? A Tan novel about mother conflicts?! /end sarcasm)

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Lisa Simpson: Miss Tan, I loved "The Joy Luck Club". It really showed me how the mother-daughter bond can triumph over adversity.

Amy Tan: No, that's not what I meant at all. You couldn't have gotten it more wrong.

Lisa: But--

Amy Tan: Please just sit down. I'm embarrassed for both of us.

From "The Simpsons" episode "Insane Clown Poppy."

1/06/2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Poppycock said...

hi sheila, belated happy new year :)

wow, 5 books over the holidays. i wish i did like you. i was only able to do one really good one, 'west with the night', by beryl markham. it's about the author's own life story, when she flew over africa, working as a bush pilot, when not training racehorses, back in the day. beautiful writing there.

so another mother issue story, yet again, from amy tan. hmm.

1/06/2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>