The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Friday, February 10, 2006

Book Review: The DaVinci Code

No spoilers, in case anyone is left who hasn't read this yet!

I work in publishing, and therefore felt I should read the book that saved the book industry's butt a couple years back. (Not a joke--if it weren't for this book, sales would have totally tanked, and many publishers would be out of business.) I didn't expect much from it, so I was fairly surprised by the fact that I enjoyed it!

This isn't a great book, however. Its worst fault is the author's banal writing style. (There are too many dialogue tags, plus the horridly self-conscious movie plotting. The characters are one-dimensional, and as a whole, this book is easily forgettable. You can tell this book was "workshopped," also.) The ending is a bit clunky, too.

However, I can't dislike a book that's so earnest and enthusiastic. And that's the book's true charm--the author (and characters) are really excited about the subject matter. The author wants us to be amazed, just as he is, by the book's (and DaVinci's) puzzles. And it's easy to catch that enthusiasm.

I like the book's European setting and historical research. Also, this book has the honor of being the only male-written goddess-cult book I've read. Kind of a nice change.

All in all, this book has a fun plot, and is a great vacation read. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

2 Comments:

Blogger kybruno said...

Yeah it was a fun read, didn't see what all the fuss was about. But then I am a sci fi kind of guy that is open to all ideas. Did you solve any of the puzzles?

2/11/2006 7:18 AM  
Blogger Queen Kandis said...

Wow! I just finished this book over the weekend planning to review it for my own blog. It's taken me twice as long to get through this book as A Breath of Snow and Ashes. And I'm STILL wondering what the big deal was.

2/14/2006 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>