The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Monday, February 13, 2006

Monday Round Up and Mini Book Review

First, thanks to everyone who's commented on my blog! I appreciate your comments.

What I watched this weekend:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the 2005 remake). This movie was OK--I do adore Johnny Depp and his amazing cheekbones, and the boy who plays Charlie is just adorable. However, I like Gene Wilder's misanthropic Willy Wonka better. Nothing can match the sheer cackling darkness of the '70s version. (I love the squirrels, though. I want a nut-cracking squirrel! Daddy, I want one NOW.) This would have been greatly improved without Wonka's childhood flashbacks. *shudder*

Gilmore Girls (first four episodes of season 1). This is the first time I've ever watched this show! And it's so very twee. I love the dialogue, the mother-daughter relationship, and the sheer hyperness of Lorelai. Oh, and Rory is SO CUTE. And a wonderful character. Great acting all around, actually. I look forward seeing the rest of this show.

Mini Book Review: A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon
(No spoilers) This is a mini review because I don't know what to say except for: great book! Better than the last one (Fiery Cross) because much more happened. In fact, a lot happened in this volume. And the Revolutionary War has finally started--yay! (Uh, if "yay" is the proper adjective for a war.) So, is there one more book left to go in this series? If given the opportunity, I think Gabaldon could write this series for all eternity. Boy are they getting long. I've been reading this book for almost a month. I'm starting on a Tamora Pierce series now (Protector of the Small, if you want to know), and I'm excited to be reading something light (literally as well as thematically) after this wrist-snapper.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Yes, Veruca-chu. You'll get one of those squirrels. Don't fret

2/13/2006 1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>