The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Tuesday Round Up

Greetings, my kittens. Sorry posting's been slow; very busy with work this week, and I'm also getting ready to visit Neptune for Veronica Mars Bloggers Press Day! I'm very excited; my flight to San Diego is Sunday, Monday morning we spend the day at the studio, and Monday afternoon we fly home. Of course I'll give you all the juicy details next Tuesday or Wednesday--hopefully with pictures!

A few general things:

I watched the movie Sahara on Saturday night--and I want my 2 hours back. This was too long and way too testosterone-y for me. (Testosterone-y with extra cheese, even.) If you like explosions, boat chases, and American-male machismo, though (American being the operative word), you might enjoy this flick. My DH pointed out that this may be the most racist movie of 2005--lots of Africans get beat up. I think Matthew McConaughey was miscast, also. Will Smith would have been better--but then they couldn't have done that white Southern American male GRRRRR macho thing.

I think I may have found the cure for the common Cold Case. (Hee. I amuse myself.) I watched Sunday's episode on my DVR last night--you know, the one with the '50s female mental patient who gets a lobotomy in hopes of curing herself so she can see her son again, but instead is purposefully abandoned in the park in the snow to freeze to death--and, as usual, I spiraled into a little ball of despair on the couch. It was all I could do to hit "play" on my DVD player--but I was glad I did. Two episodes of Gilmore Girls later, and I felt much better. Stars Hollow cheered me right up: there's nothing like a kitten named Apricot, a chick named Stella, a Bangles concert, and Jared Padalecki's adorable hair to make me brighten up. I'm really enjoying this series, and I suspect that my husband is too. Though he might not admit it.

There's an article about House in New York Magazine with this subtitle: "In the blistering medical drama, Hugh Laurie's character, Dr. House, is so engaging that he verges on mythic." The best thing about this article, though, is the amazing Paul Willoughby illustration.

Oh, Martha. Does her insanity know no end? Here's an article about her feud with Donald Trump. (Or, maybe, his fued with her.) As a side note, does anyone else think she's taking uppers?

I'm not a huge James Bond fan, but this article amuses me. What do you think--are Daniel Craig's "pale, flattened face" and "large, fleshy ears" all wrong for 007?

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Martha's been a bit odd ever since her stint in the pokey. I think she's now hardcore, and she's finding life hard as an ex-con. I imagine she's gonna shiv her wacky audience prep guy who probably more gay than Richard Simmons, if possible.

Sahara - it's one of those films that, if it was made 20 years ago, it would have starred Lorenzo Lamas and been skewered on MST3K. I felt sorry for William H. Macy.

Gilmore Girls. If it wasn't for the two leads, the show would be a disaster. It's good mindless TV, harmless and cute. I'm sure there will never be a CSI: Stars Hollow.

Been reading up on the new Bond movie, and if it half as good as the rumors make it out to be, then I'm going (albeit without my lovely wife). Craig is an attempt to slide back to more of Fleming's vision of Bond (who was best displayed by the grim gargoyle of Timothy Dalton). They tried it with Brosnan (who was grilled after he got the nod back in the mid-90s), but Brosnan was entering the cheesy Moore-ish territory of "Moonraker" and "View to a Kill" with the goofiness of "Die Another Day." Face it, Bond will always be Connery will always be Bond, but the franchise is trying to keep up with the Jack Bauer/Sam Fisher/Jason Bourne spin on spycraft. Craig looks leaner. He's mostly a "blank" for American audiences. I think he'll be a better Bond than Christian Bale was as Batman.

2/22/2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fleshy ears ftw!

2/22/2006 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>