The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Friday, March 24, 2006

Book Review: White as Snow

General review--no real spoilers

White as Snow, by Tanith Lee, is another entry in Terri Windling's Fairy Tale series. I love Tanith Lee--she combines horror and dark fantasy in truly chilling ways. (I especially love her short stories, but I also adore some of her more horror-genre novels. Some of my favorites are The Silver Metal Lover, The Gorgon and Other Beastly Tales, Dark Dance, and Heartbeast).

White as Snow combines the Snow White fairy tale with the myth of Persephone. That sounds strange, but it works remarkably well. Also, the main character, at least for the first part of the novel, is the evil "stepmother"--in this case, not very evil, just mentally unsound; lonely and abandoned after being kidnapped from her home, brutally raped, and married by the beast-like king Draco. She's not quite a sympathetic character, but she's definitely not the mindless evil mother-figure of Disney's movie. (And she meets a horrible end.)

This is a very dark tale, and it doesn't end "happily ever after." However, I enjoy Lee's prose style, and liked the book. (Though I don't recommend it if you're looking for something romantic, light, or straightforward.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>