The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

My Favorite Female TV Characters

I've been meaning to do this for awhile now. I have some time this week, so here we go! Below is a list of my favorite female characters on TV.

1. Starbuck on Battlestar Galactica
She's tough, she's sexy, she's a little bit drunk! What I love about Starbuck is she's allowed to be strong and reckless--and even initiate sex--in a way most women on TV are denied. She's quick-tempered and domineering, but she's allowed to get what she wants, and also allowed to be emotional and vulnerable. I love that the show lets her get away with such an extravagant personality and still be feminine and relatable--she very easily could have turned into a stereotypical tomboy. Yeah, I have a total girl crush on her.

2. Veronica on Veronica Mars
Veronica is smart, strong, and determined. She's not perfect--she's stubborn, and sometimes treads on morally shaky ground--but she has a strong sense of justice. She's definitely someone you want on your side.

3. Meredith on Grey's Anatomy
I know Meredith (and her constantly tear-filled eyes) is despised by many, but I really like her. She's a kind of everywoman--she has her strengths (she keeps cool in a crisis, has lots of empathy, and is loyal and caring) and weaknesses (makes bad decisions, and relies too much on her emotions rather than reason) just like everyone does. In other words, she struggles with the same things we all do. I can't wait to see how she (hopefully!) matures and changes in upcoming episodes/seasons.

4. Rory on Gilmore Girls
Keep in mind that I've only seen through season 2. I love Rory because she's allowed to be smart, funny, and caring--and an introvert. She's a stabilizing force for her mom (and grandma), but also her own person.

5. Samantha on Sex and the City
This is cheating a bit, because this show isn't on the air anymore--but it's my blog, so there. I love Samantha for her attitude--she takes what she wants and doesn't care what you think. She's an id run amok.

Others I love: Rousseau on Lost. Laura Roslin on Battlestar. Sharona on Monk (oh wait--she got fired. Yeah, I'm still bitter). Willow on Buffy. Scully on the X-Files.

Who are your favorite female characters?

4 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Old school here, with a shout out to the ultimate Girl Power TV figure, Diana Rigg's Emma Peel from "The Avengers."

And I'm shocked Roslin didn't get a higher rating.

And yes, Willow over Buffy.

3/15/2006 1:28 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

It's not a list of girl power (for me)--just my favorites.

I love Laura, but not as much this season as last. (They don't seem to know what to do with her anymore, now that she doesn't have cancer/doesn't spout religious prophesy.)

3/15/2006 2:02 PM  
Blogger John said...

As for they not knowing what do to with Roslin, you know what they say...those who can't prevent a amoral scientist who is being played by the cylons from becoming president and eventually surrendering over the remnants of the 12 colonies to said cylons, teach.

3/15/2006 2:32 PM  
Blogger Magnolia said...

I love Veronica first and foremost, and runner-up would be Dana from Sports Night. (Yeah, I know SN is off the air, but you picked Samantha, so if you can cheat, so can I).

But nobody comes close to Veronica for me, in terms of female TV characters. I've never liked any TV character the way I like her -- brainy, bitchy, deeply sarcastic, but still kind and deeply sympathetic to the underdog and lost causes. All while being quippy and funny. What's not to love?

3/15/2006 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>