The Vast Wasteland

Sheila's rantings, most likely of no interest, on TV, movies, books, music, etc.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States

I live in Seattle, am married, have two cats (one is a genius, the other insane), and am a mild-mannered copy editor by day. I love horseback riding, coffee, reading, TV, movies, music, playing (too much) World of Warcraft, and lying on the couch. This isn't a personal blog, but rather a place for me to vent about movies, TV shows, books, music, etc. Thanks for checking in!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Veronica Mars Bloggers' Press Day: Impressions and General Squees

The other bloggers that attended (links at right under "Veronica Mars Bloggers") have already written excellent and thorough reviews of our day, so I'm not going to be too long winded. But here are some of my impressions and squees.

*Kristen Bell is luminous and--even though she dislikes this label--really, really cute. She's tiny. She was very friendly and willing to talk to us, even though it was between filming and she couldn't stay long. She mentioned that the Maxim photos, which everyone seems to be in a tizzy over, were a business decision. (For the record, I think they're beautiful.)

I don't think Veronica Mars (the character) has ever smiled like this.

*I didn't get any good photos of Rob Thomas! He was always gesturing or moving. He was very enthusiastic and seemed very happy to show us around. He clearly loves the show and characters. He says episodes 17, 18, and 19 of this season will be really good. His defense of Duncan: he's an Ethan Frome/Hamlet character, paralyzed by his inability to act.

*The Lilly Kane fountain uses a poem stolen from the show Freaks and Geeks (used in that show for a dead dog).

*Ryan Hansen is funny and extremely high energy; a true extrovert. When asked who Dick was pestering that day, he answered "Veronica," and then told us one of the lines he had to say (which I won't repeat). "Isn't that NASTY?" he asked, with a combination of glee and horror. (And I think glee and horror are perfect adjectives for Dick.) He and Kyle Gallner were messing around quite a bit (off camera). It's obvious they get along really well. Kyle is also very friendly.

The long-lost Casablancas sister, Sheila, poses with her brothers.

*Ryan Hansen's hair is really soft. (Don't ask how I know that.)

*We saw Percy Daggs briefly. His mom was with him, and she was obviously so proud of her son. It was really cute. Percy seems friendly, though we didn't talk to him for very long. His mom was an extra in the episode where Wallace sings--she was in the back, reading a newspaper.

*There were lots of extras on the set that day, acting as high school students. It was interesting to watch them fake conversations in the background of the main scene, and take directions about when to walk "casually" across the courtyard, etc.

*Speaking of scenes, it's amazing an episode gets filmed in 8 days. It took almost 2 hours to practice, block, and then shoot a very short scene (I'd guess under 60 seconds) between Beaver and Veronica. Plus they had to do multiple takes, or pause whenever an airplane flew overhead.

*Touring the make-up trailer was interesting because it was covered with casual, funny polaroids of the actors. We weren't allowed to take any photos, but here are some examples: Jackie making fish lips and crossing her eyes. Lilly Kane, with bloody-head make-up, laughing and waving. Meg wearing a "Baby on Board" T-shirt. Dick and Beaver posing with Santa Claus (which the actors did at Christmas, apparently).

*Touring the costume trailer was also interesting because of the sheer mass of clothing it contained: some for the extras, and some with the characters' names written on dividing hangers.

*Jason Dohring seems very intense but quiet. He says he enjoys his "snarky" scenes, and also enjoys working with Harry Hamlin and Francis Capra. He says Kristen Bell brings a real honesty to her scenes that is really nice to work with, also. He was good about eye contact. And he smelled really good, also. *fans self*

Ladies and gentlemen: the money shot.

*It was fascinating to see the different sets. The high school looked like a real high school--the bathroom even had the Jackie graffiti in it! We also saw Java the Hut, the Mars' apartment (including Keith's seldom-seen bedroom), the Mars' office, the big crane thingy where the PCHers hang out, the police station, and the Neptune Grand.

*I'm very proud of myself because I managed not to squee out loud or lick any of the actors. Hooray for my self restraint!

*I'll be posting a Veronica Mars picture of the day all this week (and probably next as well). I have tons of great photos to show you. (But don't worry--no spoilers for upcoming episodes.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

Love the recap! And, hey, how did you get a picture of Kristen?! I so should have taken my camera out while she was sitting there.

3/01/2006 1:25 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

I just...took it. :-)

I was kind of sitting behind her shoulder, so I thought it would be unobtrusive. (I love the picture--I think she looks so pretty. sigh.)

3/01/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

I'm also proud I didn't lick anyone, but that may just be because I didn't get close enough to Kristen.

Well hopefully there will be a next time for that and hope to see you there.

3/01/2006 1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's heaps cool!!

you guys are lucky to have met her.
and i agree, she looks very pretty in that picture. Even if it was candid. Great stuff.

dpharmacizt

3/02/2006 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>